… Tell If Your Boyfriend (or New Husband) is a Pirate!
Has this ever happened to you?
(Excerpt from The Pirate Takes a Bride)
Angry, she rounded on him. “And you!” She pointed her finger at him. “You better explain what’s going on. Why are these men listening to you? Are you”—her eyes widened as the possibilities occurred to her—“are you in league with these pirates?”
Instead of answering, he glanced at the so-called pirates, and Ashley knew right then that her presumption was true. Oh, no. She’d known Nick had a reputation for finding himself in all sorts of trouble. She’d even heard his brother jokingly call him Robin Hood. She hadn’t thought anything of the sobriquet before, but seeing these pirates made her wonder. Had Nick’s foolish escapades escalated beyond an adventurous hobby?
“Who are they, Robin Hood?” she spat, gesturing to the other men. “Your band of merry men?”
Nick shrugged. “You might say that. They’re my crew.”
“Your crew?” Ashley looked at Nick then back at the men. What would the second son of a marquess need with a crew? “What crew?”
Gold Tooth doffed his black hat and bowed. “Crew of the Robin Hood. Best privateer ship in the Atlantic. Cap’n, I need to speak with you.”
Ashley stared at him. “The Robin Hood?” She swallowed as the air in the room seemed to evaporate. That name was familiar. A ship. A privateer ship? Ice raced through her veins. Now she remembered. The ship—it was a pirate ship—had been in the papers. Her brothers had discussed it at length one evening. The ship and its captain were wanted by the navy for acts so vile her brothers would not discuss them in her presence.
But Nick couldn’t be—he wasn’t—
She turned to stare at him. With his bronze skin, unruly black hair, and startling blue eyes, he certainly looked the role of a pirate.
But he was also Lord Nicholas Martingale. He was charming and polished and accepted in the best homes in Society.
This Captain Robin Hood nonsense couldn’t be true.
Please, don’t let it be true. Don’t let her be married to—
“Allow me to introduce myself.” Nick bowed with a flourish. “Captain of the Robin Hood at your service.”
Don’t be the last to know if your significant other is actually a swashbuckling pirate. Follow this easy checklist and avoid Ashley’s fate.
1. Take a good look at your crush’s friends. Do they look like rogues? Do they wear gold hoop earrings, eye patches, own several cutlasses, or frequently use terms like “argh” and “matey”? If so, your crush might be a pirate.
2. Ask your honey about how he spends his time away from you. Is he secretive? Does he have a love of ships and all things seafaring? Does he own several treasure-type chests? When he pays for dinner, does he ever try to use gold dubloons? If so, your honey is probably a pirate.
3. Sneak a peek at your lover’s bedroom. What’s in his closet? Tall black boots? Billowing white shirts? Does he own several nautical maps? If so, your guy is very likely a buccaneer.
4. Next time you go clubbing, pay attention to what your cutie drinks. Does he prefer rum to every other drink? Does he ever mistakenly ask the bartender for grog? Does he panic if you’re out and there is no rum? Does he ever threaten mutiny? If you see any of the above, run. Your cutie is a corsair for sure.
5. Finally, is your boyfriend or husband incredibly sexy? Is he fearless, protective, independent, and brave? Can he make your knees melt with one smoldering smile? If so, your guy is definitely a pirate.
These five easy steps will help you avoid Ashley’s mistake. That is, unless you wouldn’t mind being married to a sexy pirate.
‘The Pirate Takes a Bride’
Ashley Brittany is living a nightmare. She’s been mistakenly married to the one man she despises. Months ago, Lord Nicholas took her virtue then scorned her. Now, Ashley will do anything to have her revenge . . . anything but expose her ugly secret.
Nick Martingale has a secret, too: he’s Captain Robin Hood, a pirate with a fearsome reputation. But when Nick learns his archenemy, the Barbary pirate Yussef, attacked innocents Nick has sworn to protect, he can think of nothing but vengeance.
Only one person stands in his way.
BUY the PAPERBACK: Amazon
BUY the eBOOK: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Google Play | iTunes | Kobo
GIVEAWAY: 1 WINNER/1 PRINT COPY/US ONLY!
AUTHOR BIO: Shana Galen is the bestselling author of fast-paced adventurous Regency historicals, including the RT Reviewers’ Choice The Making of a Gentleman. Booklist says, “Galen expertly entwines espionage-flavored intrigue with sizzling passion,” and RT Bookreviews calls her “a grand mistress of the action/adventure subgenre.”
She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven years. Most of those years were spent working in Houston’s inner city. Now she writes full time. She’s happily married and has a daughter who is most definitely a romance heroine in the making. Social Media: Website